Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Almost Two

In less than two months we will have a two year old on our hands. Somehow that is hard for me to wrap my mind around. When having a baby, one prepares extensively (more or less) for just that, a baby. While it took me some time, I got used to the idea of having a baby - one that I could port around with me all over the city in our car-less days, one that slept quite a bit, one that didn't mind whatever I chose for her to wear.

Miriam is no longer said baby, and it is both wonderful and terrifying. She has such a big personality and will - though her will is far from rational. She is currently sleeping (thank you, God) to an opera on the radio because that is the only thing that would quiet her down...for tonight.

Yet what a glorious thing it is to see more fully how her brain ticks as she begins to talk and express her will - rational or not. She loves to take care of her doll, organize things, clean up, and help me out in the  kitchen. Here she is helping me squeeze the juice for some blood orange sorbet.




Her capacity to learn has also exploded, along with her vocabulary. She counts to seven in English, four in French, and three in Swahili. She knows her body parts in all three languages. The point being not to brag about our genius child (because we could easily share stories that would prove otherwise) but to revel in the capacity to learn at such a young age.

Here are a few snapshots of what she is up to lately.


Learning how to bead


Organizing by shape

 
                      A true Boston toddler. Thanks for the hat, Uncle Andrew!


Gone are the bald baby days.

And finally, a video of a little St. Patrick's Day revelry, family style. Miriam thought it was so funny, she kept saying, "Silly, Daddy!" over and over.



1 comment:

  1. I remember this blog every now and then, and am so glad you still keep it updated. I'm really glad you are all safe in Boston after everything that happened this week. Miss you, Erin!

    ReplyDelete